What to Do If Your Dog Ate Chocolate in Greensboro, NC

dog ate chocolate greensboro, nc

Dogs are our beloved companions and our responsibility is to keep them safe and healthy. One of the dangers that many dog owners may not be aware of is chocolate. Chocolate contains compounds such as theobromine and caffeine, which can be toxic to dogs if ingested in large enough quantities. This article will discuss the dangers of chocolate for dogs, the symptoms of chocolate poisoning, and what to do if your dog ate chocolate.

Understanding the Dangers of Chocolate for Dogs

When it comes to chocolate and dogs, it’s essential to understand that not all chocolate is created equal. Different types of chocolate contain varying amounts of the toxic compounds including theobromine and caffeine, which can be harmful to dogs if ingested in large quantities. For example, dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate have higher levels of theobromine than milk chocolate and white chocolate. Therefore, it is essential to be aware of the types and amounts of chocolate your dog may be exposed to.

Moreover, it is also important to consider the size and weight of your dog when it comes to chocolate consumption. A small dog may be more affected by a smaller amount of chocolate than a larger dog. Therefore, it is essential to be aware of your dog’s size and weight and adjust accordingly regarding chocolate consumption. This is important to prevent potential health risks and keep your dog safe. The best rule of thumb is to keep all chocolate out of reach of dogs and ensure all treats and medications are labeled and stored safely.

What to Do If Your Dog Ate Chocolate in Greensboro, NC

Common Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning

Common symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, and seizures. These symptoms can appear within a few hours of consumption and last several days. In severe cases, chocolate poisoning can lead to muscle tremors, an irregular heartbeat, and even death.

Some other symptoms may include:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased urination
  • Hyperactivity
  • Abdominal pain
  • Tremors or muscle twitching
  • Increased heart rate
  • Changes in behavior, such as depression or agitation
  • In severe cases, coma or death

It is essential to seek immediate veterinary intervention if any of these indications are observed in your dog, as chocolate poisoning can be dangerous if not treated promptly. If your dog consumed a large amount of chocolate, it is necessary to contact your veterinarian as soon as possible and provide them with the type of chocolate consumed, the amount, and the time since it was consumed. It is also essential to monitor your dog closely for any previously mentioned symptoms and be prepared to act quickly in case they present themselves.

dog ate chocolate greensboro, nc

What to Do If Your Dog Ate Chocolate

If you suspect your dog has ingested chocolate, it is crucial to act quickly. The sooner you take action, the better the chances your dog will recover fully. The first step you should take is to contact your veterinarian for guidance. They may advise you to induce vomiting, depending on the amount and type of chocolate your dog consumed. It’s also important to note that inducing vomiting should only be done under the guidance of a veterinarian.

If the veterinarian suspects that your pet has ingested a toxic or potentially fatal dose of chocolate, they will likely ask you to call a Pet Poison Control hotline to speak with a veterinary toxicologist before coming to the clinic for treatment. These specialists have access to references, databases, and their own clinical expertise, leading to a faster, more detailed response. Pet Poison Control also saves precious time by providing the veterinarian with an expert treatment plan, which is especially valuable when time is of the essence.

When You’ve Gotten to a Veterinarian

Treatment for chocolate poisoning in dogs may include various methods depending on the severity of the case and the specific symptoms present. Medications to control symptoms, such as anti-seizure medication, may be prescribed to control seizures.

Activated charcoal may be administered to absorb the toxins in the stomach and prevent them from being absorbed into the bloodstream. Intravenous fluids may also be administered to prevent dehydration and support the dog’s vital organs. In some cases, the veterinarian may also help with drugs to control the heart rate and blood pressure.

In severe cases, hospitalization may be required for close monitoring and to provide the necessary supportive care. It is important to note that the treatment plan will vary depending on the type and amount of chocolate consumed since ingestion and the dog’s health status. It is crucial to follow the veterinarian’s guidance and instructions to ensure the best possible outcome for your dog.

Prevention of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

To prevent future incidents of chocolate ingestion, it’s important to keep chocolate out of reach of dogs and away from areas where they could easily access it. It’s also important to label all treats and medications and to store them in safe, secure places that dogs cannot reach.

It’s important to educate other household members and guests about the dangers of chocolate for dogs and to ensure that they are aware of this potential hazard. Check any food you give your dog to ensure it does not contain chocolate. 


Chocolate is very toxic to dogs and can cause serious damage to their health if action is not taken immediately after they consume it.

It is crucial to remember that time is of the essence regarding chocolate poisoning in dogs. The sooner you take action, the better the chances your dog will recover fully.

If your pet is in need of emergency care or you have questions about your dog’s health, please call us at (336) 288-2688. Our team here at Happy Tails Emergency Veterinary Clinic is more than happy to assist you!


Recent Posts

About Us

At Happy Tails Veterinary Emergency Clinic in Greensboro, NC, our kind and knowledgeable team is available to provide gold standard emergency vet care for you and your pet. We’re available in the late night and early morning hours during the week, and 24/7 on weekends for your convenience.