Pet Poisoning Prevention

Pet poisons are all over your home, and we’ll be there when an issue arises.

Pet poisoning can be scary, and it can happen when you least expect it. Our emergency veterinarian in Greensboro, Dr. Kelley Gebhardt, along with her colleagues, wants every pet owner to be aware of common pet poisoning hazards, and what to do if you suspect your cat or dog has eaten something that may be harmful to their health.

WHAT ARE COMMON HOUSEHOLD AND COMMUNITY PET POISONS? 

The best way to prevent pet poisoning is to safely secure (or get rid of) anything in your home that is toxic to animals. This includes:

  • Antifreeze

  • Gasoline

  • Household cleaning chemicals including furniture polish, drain clog removers, laundry detergent

  • Any food containing xylitol

  • Chocolate

  • Certain plants, including mistletoe, poinsettia, azaleas, chinaberry, and lilies

  • Coffee

  • Garlic

  • Avocados

  • Grapes and raisins

  • Moldy food

  • Onions

  • Alcohol

  • Wild mushrooms

  • Fabricated wood chips (often found at dog parks)

  • Medications (for humans or pets)

  • Insect repellent

  • Rat poison

If you have any of these substances in and around the home, be sure that they are kept out of reach of your pets and/or locked away. Talk to your family members about pet poisoning prevention too, to make sure the whole household is on board.

WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY PET CONSUMES SOMETHING POISONOUS? 

If you know that your pet has eaten something poisonous, call us immediately. By giving us information about the situation–including what your dog or cat ate, how long ago it happened, and how your pet has been acting since–we’ll be able to tell you what to do next.

We might ask you to bring your pet in to see us for an examination, blood tests, and emergency care. We also may ask you to induce cat or dog vomiting (typically with hydrogen peroxide) to get the substance out of its body. You should never induce pet vomiting without first calling a veterinarian for guidance!

SIGNS & SYMPTOMS OF PET POISONING – BE AWARE FOR FASTER CARE!

If you’re not completely sure that your pet has eaten something poisonous but you notice any of the following telltale signs and symptoms of pet poisoning, call our emergency veterinarian in Greensboro right away:

  • Vomiting

  • Diarrhea or bloody stool

  • Nosebleed

  • Seizures

  • Irregular heartbeat

  • Inability to urinate

  • Bruising

  • Sudden lethargy

We are always ready to help!

Scroll down for our contact information.  Our experienced emergency veterinary team is here for your pet’s needs.

We’re here nights, weekends, and holidays for your pet.

Location

2936 Battleground Avenue
Greensboro, NC 27408
Click here for directions.

After Hours Care

Office Hours:
Mon: 6:00pm – 8:00am
Tues: 6:00pm – 8:00am
Wed: 6:00pm – 8:00am
Thurs: 6:00pm – 8:00am
Fri: 6:00pm – 8:00am
Sat: 24 hours
Sun: 24 hours

Contact Us

Call us: 336-285-0173
Fax us: 336-288-2686
Email us: happytailser@gmail.com

Have questions? We’re here to help!

 

Please complete the form below and a member of our team will respond generally within 24 hours. If you’re in the middle of an emergency situation, please call us at 336-285-0173.