Happy Tails’ List of Pet-Safe House Plants
House plants are a great way to liven up your indoor space and improve the air quality in your home. But choosing which type of plants to keep can cause some anxiety when you’re not sure which ones are toxic to your pets and which ones are safe!
Here are our top ten pet-safe house plants:
1. Spider Plant — Spider plants are easy to care for, do well in low-light settings, and are known for their ability to improve air quality particularly well.
2. Haworthia — Similar to the Aloe plant, Haworthia has the same look without the worry of it being dangerous to your pet.
3. Ponytail Palm — Known as one of the most common indoor palm plants, Ponytail Palm are a safe and easy to grow plant that you can keep without worry.
4. Swedish Ivy — There’s nothing more captivating than a beautiful cascading plant off of a tall bookcase or hanging pot. Swedish Ivy is safe and easy to care for with little maintenance.
5. African Violet — When in a more vibrant and colorful mood, look to African Violets for a pop of color for your indoor space. They are easy to grow and when kept in a warm, sunlit area they will bloom year round!
6. Prayer Plant — A safer alternative to Dieffenbachia is the Prayer Plant. It has a similar structure and does well in low-light conditions and infrequent watering.
7. Burro’s Tail Succulent — If succulents are more your thing then you can rest assured that you can still have at least one of these hardy little plants. Burro’s Tail Succulents are a safe bet for your home and won’t cause any serious problems for your pet.
8. Areca Palm — Tropical plants can really elevate the look of a space and Areca Palm is a worry-free alternative to plants like Philodendron. They can grow to heights of 6-7 feet and live for up to 10 years if cared for correctly!
9. Bromeliads — Another wonderful plant to add some more color to your home. Bromeliads are pet-safe, the most common flowering indoor plants, and come in a variety of colors.
10. Cast Iron Plant — If you’re looking for resiliency and a beautiful deep green color then this plant is for you. They can live in low-light settings and are one of the hardiest indoor plants around!
We’re here to help! Click here to contact us today!
At Happy Tails Veterinary Emergency Clinic in Greensboro, NC, our kind and knowledgeable team is available to provide gold standard emergency vet care for you and your pet. We’re available in the late night and early morning hours during the week, and 24/7 on weekends for your convenience.