You may have heard in the news or social media that pig ear treats commonly sold in pet stores are linked to outbreaks of Salmonella. We’re here to give you all the facts and the next steps you should take if you have these treats in your home.
According to the CDC and the FDA, a multi-drug resistant strain of Salmonella has spread across 33 states so far that is linked to the handling of pig ear treats.
So far, there have been 127 reported cases of Salmonella in pet owners that have bought or handled these treats.
Not only is Salmonella a danger to you, the pet owner, but to your dogs as well! Dogs can show the following symptoms if they have contracted Salmonella:
– Diarrhea that may also contain blood or mucus
If your dog is showing any of these symptoms we always advise having them seen by a veterinarian; especially now if they have been exposed to pig ear treats in the last few months.
The next steps you should take:
Step 1: Do not feed any pig ear treats to your dogs
Step 2: Secure any pig ear treats in a container that cannot be opened by animals and throw it away
Step 3: Thoroughly clean all surfaces of the home where the pig ear treats have been
Step 4: Wash hands thoroughly after cleaning up the home and always after handling pet food or treats
- Do not let your dog lick your face or mouth after they eat
- Do not let your dog lick any scrapes, scratches, or open wounds ever
- Wash hands and arms if you do play with your dog after they have just eaten
- Kids younger than 5 years old should never touch pet food or treats