You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Pet poisoning can be scary, and it can happen when you least expect it. Our emergency veterinarian in Greensboro, Dr. Kelley Gebhardt, along with her colleagues, wants every pet owner to be aware of common pet poisoning hazards, and what to do if you suspect your cat or dog has eaten something that may be harmful to their health.
The best way to prevent pet poisoning is to safely secure (or get rid of) anything in your home that is toxic to animals. This includes:
If you have any of these substances in and around the home, be sure that they are kept out of reach of your pets and/or locked away. Talk to your family members about pet poisoning prevention too, to make sure the whole household is on board.
If you know that your pet has eaten something poisonous, call us immediately. By giving us information about the situation--including what your dog or cat ate, how long ago it happened, and how your pet has been acting since--we'll be able to tell you what to do next.
We might ask you to bring your pet in to see us for an examination, blood tests, and emergency care. We also may ask you to induce cat or dog vomiting (typically with hydrogen peroxide) to get the substance out of its body. You should never induce pet vomiting without first calling a veterinarian for guidance!
If you're not completely sure that your pet has eaten something poisonous but you notice any of the following telltale signs and symptoms of pet poisoning, call our emergency veterinarian in Greensboro right away:
We've said it before and we'll say it again: when in doubt, call! Our Greensboro emergency veterinarian team is standing by during business hours and after hours to help your pet get better as quickly as possible. For help or to learn more about our comprehensive vet services, call Happy Tails Emergency Veterinary Clinic today at (336) 288-2688.
What can we help you find?