You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 06-26-2017
Fourth of July is fun for humans but often a little scary for pets. Fear of fireworks and other holiday activities can be dangerous for cats and dogs, as may cause them to suffer severe anxiety or even run away. Fortunately, our Greensboro after hours emergency vet has tips that can help keep your pet safe during the summer holidays.
1. Keep your pet indoors during fireworks and other festivities, even pets that are accustomed to being outdoors during picnics and other holiday activities. Fireworks and other loud noises may cause your pet to jump the fence or otherwise run away.
2. Do not apply insect repellant or sunscreen made for humans on your pet
3. Leave your pet at home when you go to the fireworks display. Be sure to leave your pets in a secure location, preferably one protected from the noise of fireworks.
4. Keep alcohol away from pets.
5. Make sure your pet has proper ID, such as a collar with a tag.
6. Keep human food away from pets. Eating human food can cause gastric upset and can even be harmful.
7. Keep glow jewelry away from pets, as the plastic pieces can cause excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation.
8. Put citronella-based repellants away from pets, as inhaling citronella can cause respiratory problems and ingesting it can harm your pet’s nervous system. Keep matches and lighter fluid away from pets as well.
9. Do not let your pet get near your barbecue grill while it is in use or still hot.
10. Learn more information about keeping your pet safe on Independence Day and throughout the year by talking to our Greensboro after hours emergency vet.
Happy Tails Veterinary Emergency Clinic is conveniently located at 2936 Battleground Avenue in Greensboro, NC. We also serve those living in Reidsville and Kernersville. Call (336) 288-2688.
How does your pet react to holidays?
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.
What can we help you find?